This was one of those things that I had to work out on my own in situ, which wasn’t a whole heap of fun. If you’re going to be away for less than a week – it’s not worth your while – just deal with the roaming charges and only use Wi-Fi for your data. If however you are going to be away for a while or do require data then it’s recommended you connect to AT&T. So here is a definitive guide of getting your iPhone4 up and running in the USA.
What you’ll need:
- an unlocked iPhone4
- a pre-paid Visa card (step 2)
- WiFi Access
- Unlock your phone at home first. Your phone needs to be unlocked by your provider BEFORE you travel overseas. This will require a restore in iTunes so be aware. I would recommend doing this at least a week if not two before you head off.
- Find a Walgreens or any department store. Find the pre-paid Visa cards and get one. The amount of credit you require will depend on how long you will be away but I’d recommend getting $50 or so.
- Setting the prepaid Visa up is a little more difficult than first thought. You’ll need WiFi to access the website and initialise the card. Starbucks is a good place and you can also use Google Maps to find your next stop – the AT&T store.
- At the AT&T store tell your service person you need a new micro sim for your iPhone4. You want to get the $2 a day pay-as-you-go (prepaid) plan – do not get the $60 /month flat rate. You will need to give them an address – use your hotel. Put some credit on your phone and pay with your prepaid Visa card.
- Now you need to get them to add data to your plan. They will say that this is not possible – don’t worry just get them to do it.
- OK – your phone should be working now and you’ll be able to make calls.
- To setup data you’ll need to visit http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/ and change the APN settings. If you can get on WiFi again and navigate there via your iPhone a mobile version of the site will load. Set your carrier to AT&T.
- That should be it. You should now have access to the 3G data network and a fully functioning iPhone.